Introduction to E-Verify
E-Verify refers the electronic verification in order to confirm employment eligibility. In this Internet-based system, the data from employees I-9 form is compared to the data stored in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Database. As we know, the form I-9 is for verification of the eligibility of an employee for a particular type of employment.
The reason why the E-Verify system has gained a lot of popularity is because of its accuracy and speed. The E-Verify process takes very little time (as less as a few seconds) to verify the I-9 data with the actual government databases.
Facts about E-Verify
- This system of Federal Government is very popular amongst employers of all sizes and is ranked high in terms of customer satisfaction.
- More than 6,00,000 employees have used the E-Verify system all over the world, so far. Additionally, most hiring sites use this system too.
Requirements of E-Verify
- SSN (Social Security Number) is mandatory.
- Photo identity document is required.
- Voluntary for most businesses.
1.Initially the I-9 form is filled by the employee and the employer for the purpose of employment eligibility verification.
2.Employer then makes use of the E-Verify system to verify the I-9 form data.
3.During the verification process, E-Verify, Internet-based system compares the form information with that of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security database and Social security database.
E-Verify compares the following details and information with the database records of the Federal Government’s database:
- S. Passport and Visa Details
- Immigration and Naturalization records
- State-Issued Driver’s licences and identity document information
- Social Security Information
Source of Information: www.uscis.gov